Who We Are
The Campaign against Child Marriage (CACM) an initiative of Independent Thought, since 2013, has been demanding State Accountability to address this issue through its belief that it is possible to end child marriage by adopting a Mission Mode.
- Establish “zero tolerance against child marriage”.
- Create an accountability framework for effective implementation of child right laws in its totality and specially the PCMA, juvenile justice legislations against trafficking and sexual offences, penal codes and laws concerning child protection commission / institutions among others
- Monitor increased investment and resources in girls education and skills through affirmative State action
- Develop the girls’ human rights framework based on National and International Commitments specifically referring to the landmark Independent Thought 2017 judgment by Supreme Court and SDG 2030 targets.
- Position the counter narrative of child marriage as human rights violation among international development community; and to stop justifying articulation of child marriage as culture, tradition or acceptable practice.
- Seek support amongst decision makers such as parliamentary forums etc to end child marriage.
CAMPAIGN AGAINST CHILD MARRIAGE (CACM)
- 3rd Regional Convening on Using Law to Promote Accountability to End Child Marriage in South Asia on Child Marriage; organized by South Asia Initiative to End Violence Against Children [SAIEVAC Regional Secretariat] – SAARC Apex Body and hosted by Ministry Women and Child Affairs, Government of Sri Lanka at Colombo, Sri Lanka (10-11 September, 2018)
- SAIEVAC SAARC Conference at Thimpu, Bhutan; participated in the Pre -Technical Events of 7th SGBM: a) Follow up Meeting of National Human Rights Institutions to Accelerate Efforts to End Child Marriage in South Asia: b) The Review of the Regional Action Plan on Ending Child Marriage in South Asia – 2015-2018; organized by SAIEVAC Regional Secretariat at Thimpu, Bhutan (12-13 May, 2018)
CACM is in the process of organizing State Consultations towards legal reform to end Child Marriages
National and Regional Consultations
- National Consultation to Launch #MISSION2029 at New Delhi by Independent Thought (11 October 2018)
- National Conference on Child Marriage at New Delhi organized by NHRC and SAIEVAC (29-30 August 2018)
- Regional Conference on Child Marriage at Bhubaneswar organized by NHRC (4-5 January 2018)
- National Consultation at ISIL, New Delhi organized by Independent Thought (10 January 2015)
- National Consultation at IIC, New Delhi organized by Independent Thought (30 October 2013)
- State level Consultation on POCSO and Child Marriage organized by Save the Children, Lucknow (1 Sep 2018)
- State Consultation at Mumbai, Maharashtra organized by Justice & Care, TISS and State Commission for Women (24 April 2018)
- State Consultation at Raipur, Chhattisgarh organized by CRY and CGBAA (26 March 2018)
- State Consultation at Patna, Bihar organized by Save the Children and Gender Alliance (22 December 2017)
- State Consultation at Delhi organised by Plan India and DCPCR (14 December 2017)
- State Consultation at Lucknow organized by UNICEF (2016)
DISTRICT CONSULTATIONS UTTAR PRADESH
Consultations held in Districts of Balrampur, Jaunpur, Mirzapur, Noida, Sharavasti and Sonebhadra, Dec 2015 with support from UNICEF